# 45 - Panos in Mexico

I spent my first four days in Mexico City with a Couchsurfer named Sandro. I experienced the local Mexican way of eating a tortilla. We had them with meat al pastor and plenty of lime on very small tortillas. They were delicious! And I started appreciating the chili sauces that are everywhere in Mexico. I got to visit the Coyoacán area where I tried different kinds of new exotic fruits, like mamey, tuna and cuajiniquil, and I also tried my first ever chapulines (grasshoppers which are considered a delicacy here). Crunchy and surprisingly nice. I explored the rest of the city's neighbourhoods and also made a Greek tzatziki dish for Sandro and his mum, but the sweet version (if ever there was one), because apparently "natural" youghurt here means "with sugar". It was a happy accident but we enjoyed it nonetheless! I tried so many different fruits during my stay in CDMX (=Mexico City) like dragonfruit, ciruelas, curuba, nances and jackfruit and met lovely Couchsurfers showing me around the city like my friend Fernando.

After CDMX, I took a bus to Puebla to stay with Arquimedes for two nights, a lovely Couchsurfer from Tabasco who took me to see Puebla the same day I arrived. Again it was trials galore! So many sweets, fruits and drinks to enjoy. Mexico is extermely rich in culinary experiences! I tried camotes, borrachitos, mole poblano and tartina de Santa Clara (all genuinely Pueblan delicacies), and pulque (a fermented drink made from agave or maguey). The next day we visited the Cholula pyramid looking at the Popocatépetl volcano spouting smoke all of sudden as if nothing is happening. Normal everyday Mexican life :-) We stumbled upon an open market where we sampled among other things, pan de muerto (special bread for the Dia de los Muertos), jícama on a stick called jicaleta and handmade cocoa drink.

The following day I stayed with Baruk in Cholula, another Couchsurfer who took me out for drinks and tried mezcal and sangre del conejo (pulque with sangría) sharing laughs and stories from our travels.

With Fernando in CDMX

The Cholula pyramid

Puebla market

No comments:

Post a Comment