# 44 - Nikoletta in Mexico

Since it was Sunday I decided to go and visit the Greek church. There I met Padre Isijios and made friends with Ximena and her fiance. We went to the neighbourhood Coyoacan, went to a market and had loads of amazing Mexican food. I had quesadillas (that were nothing like the ones in Europe), huarache negra and nopal (a type of cactus that is a bit slimy and really nice). With it I drank a glass of agua de horchata (sweet milk with blended rice). Yum yum! Quite new was the taste of chapulines (find out yourself what that is), I had to try but didn't really like it. After, we went for a stroll in the park which was full of art exhibitions and for coffee. I spent the night in the Greek community centre.

The next two days I stayed with the couchsurfers Jazmin and Andre. We spent a whole day in Cholula and at an art fair, the Encuentro Nacional de Artesanos. I tried fermented juice from cactus, ice cream made from red and blue corn, mole (a very special sauce made from 20 different ingredients) and my first ceviche! What a feast. Happy days!

A good friend from Greece recommended me to get in touch with Julio and Edyta and I ended up spending the next days with them. A sweet couple that soon became dear friends of mine. They showed me around Puebla, we ate pizza with huitlacoche (a fungus that grows on corn) and at their friends jewellery shop I bought a new ring. We visited the town Atlixco where we had food in a market and the best Mezcal-Maracuja Cocktail ever. Thank you so so much for the great time we had together, for your hospitality and friendship! :-)




Puebla

Edyta and Julio

The ring

No comments:

Post a Comment